Interesting.  The thing that has bothered me for a long time is whether
being able to have files dropped on you is worth a megabyte of download
time.

When I built Muse I avoided MFC because the instant you touch it the file
size goes up by a megabyte (it may be more).  Now it may be possible to be a
drop target "the hard way" and only use a few bytes, and the Internet is
getting faster, but are we there yet.  (In fact I compile Muse with MSDev 4
because that also gave a smaller executable).

This is the reason why you can't drop files onto Muse.

On the other hand, it gives huge amount of function, I am frequently told
that it's very easy to use (contrast the endless notes on this forum about
how do you tweak this or that abc app to overcome its limitations) and is
just over 300K to download and that includes the online help which is about
the same size as the executable.

So, while I agree with all of the sentiments expressed - I also must add
that a "normal user can expect" the Internet to download a 3MB file in 10
seconds.

Of course he/she will be disappointed!!

So (and obviously this is a matter of opinion) what are these functions
worth in download space?

And incidentally, was Muse one of the programs that you tried?  I'm
currently doing a massive re-write and "being a drop target" is actually not
one of the things I was going to do.  I thought that before doing that I
would do:
* Much better support for piano-like scores
* Much better support for lyrics
* Much better ease of entry (and it was already very good)
   (I'm keying in the choruses of The Messiah as a test case for that lot)
* Much easier control of play (quite a few choral singers use it to help
learn their parts).
* Live MIDI input (which has always been just over the horizon because it
sort of works, but gives more effort in post-editing than it saved in
typing).
* Easier/better guitar tablature generation

An I may throw in a "suggest a guitar chord" function because it looks like
fun.

The lyrics stuff will probably include support for w: and W: in ABC.

Opinions?

Incidentally, I presume that Muse was not one of the ones you tried as it
has not been recently announced on the list.  If you give it a try, do let
me know what you think.  If you want to be a guinea pig for the rewrite, I
have fairly robust running code, though obviously not all the above features
are yet working and the on-line help is very much behind.

Laurie