| >- add keyboard shortcuts for every command (or for the most used
| >at least)
|
| Yes, although with over 100 menu commands there aren't enough
| keys to go round.

I think I counted that Muse has about 70 shortcuts defined (so there's heavy
use of Ctrl+this and Shift+that).  It would be a very expert user that knew
them all.

I have recently been putting more and more function into right-click pop-up
menus (for instance to change the length of a note, the clef, etc) and even
more effort into "in-place" editing.

As soon as you have a few bars entered, the music becomes a palette of
things to do for the rest.  So you can clone (almost) any symbol and enter
it elsewhere.  By definition, the more common symbols in your style of music
are the ones that are right there on the screen ready to clone.

Beyond that, many symbols can be edited in-place.  The usual mechanism I use
is to hold down Ctrl and use the cursor keys.  Thus you can edit a tempo
indication to change the value of the note or the number per minute, the
length of a note, the pitch of a note (nudging it up may introduce a sharp,
nudging it up again may kill the sharp and move it up on the staff).  A
chord symbol can be cycled through the possible chord roots and types (G7
<=>G#7 <=> A7 etc or G <=>G7 <=> Gm <=>Gdim etc).  In fact most music
symbols can be edited this way.

This is much easier than trying to memorise all the shortcuts.  [weasel
words - some of the above function is not yet published, but if anyone with
Windows wants to volunteer as a beta tester they can have a look].

Now I appreciate that this is not "ABC" and some people may se me as wearing
horns - but I just see this, ABC, my fiddle and so on as complementary ways
of making and communicating music.

Laurie