|     laurie> Why does transposition need to understand the mode?

Well, I have a little perl script that  I  use  a  lot  to  transpose
fragments (that may not include a K: line). It's convenient, but I do
have to watch its accidentals. For example, if the source is K:Dm and
the  target  is  K:Em,  a  _B  transposes to _c, which is usually not
correct.  In Dm, you might well see _B,  for  example  to  cancel  an
earlier  =B.  My code in fact would transpose the =B correctly to ^c,
but it isn't smart enough to figure out when _c should be just c.

I don't know of a way to do a correct transposition  without  knowing
at least the key signature. Even if you know the tonic, you also need
to know the mode to stand a chance at  getting  all  the  accidentals
right.

OTOH, it's very useful to be able to transpose fragments of music, so
I have my little script.  But I do have to proof-read its output.