(I know this is completely off-topic. Sorry ;-)

Gerry McCartney wrote:

> To Jon Freeman
>
> Hi Jon
>
> Keep pluckin'! Any advice, just ask.
>
> Gerry

Wow, some four-stringers on the list! Do you mind some very, very basic questions?

I bought what I thought was a standard tenor banjo tears ago to play in
a dixieland band. Tuning it to standard tenor banjo tuning (C, G, D A)
turned out to be a *very* bad idea, however. I still haven't figured out
if it's supposed to be a plectrum banjo or and Irish tenor, though. So
how do I find out?

(For those of you who know even less than me about this; The tenor banjo
used by traditional jazz bands is tuned like a viola - C, G, D A - while
the Irish variant is tuned a fourth lower - G,, D, A, E - obviously a
significant difference. The plectrum banjo is somewhere inbetween in
size and is tuned in various ways)

Frank Nordberg
http://www.musicaviva.com