On Sat, 2003-01-04 at 00:35, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi Phil, I'm not so sure I agree with that.  If what you say is correct, you would
>really need to go:
> V:1 ...
> K: Bb
> V:2
> K: Bb
>
> And I have never seen an ABC tune that does that, and I would bet that Barfly
>doesn't require that(don't have a Mac or I'd buy a copy and find out :-)

No, but all the ABC tunes I've ever written go something like this:

K:Bb
V:1
V:2

In other words, the K: is a global header, because it occurs before any
of the voices start, and so it applies to all of them.

> I like the idea that everything is global, except what is specified on the 'V' line.
> One exception would be the L: rule, although there still seems to be the expectation
>that any L: in the first voice will be 'inherited' by other voices.

Actually, I don't like that idea terribly.  This means that you can't
do, e.g.:

X:1
T:Etude
M:4/4
K:C
%
V:1
L:1/8
CDEF GABc | dCBA GFED |
V:2
L:1/2
C E | D G, |
%
V:1
CEGE cGec | BdcA GAFD | C8 |]
V:2
C E | D G, | C2 |]

This sort of fast top part, slow bottom part is quite common.  Look at,
say, Paganini's Moto Perpetuo for violin and piano.

> Phil Taylor wrote:
> Each voice is a completely separate tune, so they can have different default
> note lengths (common), metres (rarely) and even keys.

Indeed.  There are quite a lot of classical pieces, and probably
traditional tunes (although I must admit that I know very little about
traditional music), that are polytonal and/or polymetric.  Ives and
Milhaud are good examples of the former, Bartok and Nancarrow good
examples of the latter.  Nancarrow even has a fugue in one of his string
quartets in which all the parts are in different tempos, but they all
end at the same time on the same note.  Nearly impossible to play, but
great fun to listen to.  I wonder if the Q: field is global or not! ;)

    - Eric