From: "Karl Dallas"

> I'm sure lots of people know the answer to this question, so apologies.
> Is there any way to use abc in a webpage so it can be played, either on
> If so, can anyone point me to where I can find out how to do this? Does
> the reader need to have some kind of a plug-in? If so, where can this be
> obtained? Could it be placed alongside the html file so a click will
> install it on the reader's PC?

I don't know of a plug in as such but the mime type for abc is text/vnd.abc.
I believe a user could assosciate that with an abc program.

At folkinfo (as with other sites), we run conversion routines on the abc to
produce other formats such as a clickable MIDI by running abc2midi.  There
are those far more experienced in that game than I here but if you want,
I'll happily give you an outline of the way we do it using php should you
need help.

There are sites, http://www.concertina.net for one that allow you to enter
abc into a text box and then play it or view it. I did the same for a short
while but gave up when I had a phone call from my ISP asking what abcm2ps
was as an instance of the program had been running for something like an hr
and using something like 90% CPU. I assume it was a bad abc doing the
damage - the alternative would be abuse - I mean trying to convert a whole
volume of abcs.  Either way, I decided I couldn't afford to allow open
untested abcs on the web site with the shared server ISP deal I have.

Jon