-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Christopher
Myers
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 1:54 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [abcusers] abc in web pages

Karl Dallas wrote:

> I'm sure lots of people know the answer to this question, so
apologies.
> Is there any way to use abc in a webpage so it can be played, either
on
> If so, can anyone point me to where I can find out how to do this?
Does
> the reader need to have some kind of a plug-in? If so, where can this
be
> obtained? Could it be placed alongside the html file so a click will
> install it on the reader's PC?

No plug in is required for the abc-tune-finder webpage:
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/FindTune.html

This is presumably what you want to do on your webpage.  Try it out.  I
believe what they do here is connect to other people's collections of
abc tunes on each individual server, then process the abc on their
server (mit.edu) into whatever format the user clicks on, then delivers
it to the user.  I've thought of implementing my own version of that,
but I haven't had time to work it out yet.

Should be straightforward.  Here's what I envision for my site.
Have a list of tunes, each of which is a link to a cgi (run on my server
obviously).  Clicking the link will bring up a page with a web-viewable
image of the notation (png or gif), which can be generated to .ps on the
fly using your favorite rendering program, then converted to png.  On
this page could be more links to regenerate the page in plain abc, or
midi, also done via the cgi on my server.

This must be what they do on the mit server.

> (Since writing the above, I've done some web searching, and found the
> following comment from Bruce Olson at http://users.erols.com/olsonw/:
> ("To the best of my knowledge you can't play ABC's from web browsers
and
> must copy the xx.ABC file to your computer. Then use ABC2WIN in
WINDOWS,
> or PLAYQABC in DOS, to play them (no tune display from the latter).)
> (Perhaps it would be possible to have a link that said something like
had
> abc2win or similar installed. Would this work? I must try it - but
> probably not yet awhile since I'm leaving for Iraq in 14 days' time &
am
> running around like the proverbial blue-tail fly getting my travelling
> act together.)

Good luck overseas, and Godspeed!  Kick some Ass!

-Chris

http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html

--
Christopher Myers, Graduate Software Developer
Ingenta, Inc.