Phil Taylor writes:
| I've put up a first rough beta version of BarFly Carbon, for all the
| folks who've been badgering me for an OS X version.  You can download
| it from: <http://www.barfly.dial.pipex.com/BarFlyCarbon.hqx>

Hmmm ...  I'm getting more and more tempted to invest in a  PowerBook
with OSX.  Now there's another reason.

Actually, I've done a bit of digging, and have put it off because  of
not  enough  information  to decide what to order.  While my official
excuse  for  buying  one  would  be   for   "professional"   software
development  reasons,  I'm  also  interesting in something that could
function as a portable musical tool.  Maybe someone here  knows  more
than I can get from apple.com.

There's a lot of hype about the wonderful music support, but  it  all
seems  to  be aimed at people who are downloading and playing musical
recordings.  This is interesting, of course, but it can  be  done  on
nearly anything these days.  More interesting would be the ability to
use the machine as a recording studio.  I can tell that  a  PowerBook
comes with a microphone, but I can't even tell from the specs whether
it's mono or  stereo.   And,  of  course,  I'd  like  to  plug  in  N
microphones, and it would be interesting to learn how large N can be.
Can the "sound studio" software actually input N tracks from mics and
play games with them?  Or can it only download the N tracks from some
other computer?

Another topic that's hard  to  get  straight  info  on  is  what  can
actually be done with the wireless ports.  An anecdote might explain:
A couple of months back, when it was still warm, I  was  at  a  dance
camp out in the wilds of the Berkshires.  At one point, someone asked
how a tune went, and nobody could remember.  So I whipped out my cell
phone  (a Kyocera "smartphone" that's also a Palm Pilot).  I fired up
its browser, which promptly made a connection to my Tune  Finder.   I
found  the tune, fetched the abc, and copied it over to the "palmabc"
program that I'd installed.  It started playing the tune through  the
tinny  little  speaker.  People were incredibly impressed.  It got me
lots and lots of geek points.  And we had the tune.

This is feasible right now.  If I'd had a PowerBook  with  its  nifty
wireless  stuff, could it have handled the task?  If so, I could have
also displayed the music on a real screen  that  people  could  read,
unlike the tiny window on my cell phone. But look as I might, I can't
tell if there's a way to make the Mac connect to the Net like my cute
little  phone can.  The Mac has a modem, yes, but it's apparently not
wireless.  The wireless stuff would likely be  rejected  by  whatever
phone  company  was  there, because they don't really supply Internet
access, of course; they just provide a "phone  line".   And  if  your
wireless  gadget  doesn't  have  a  proper  phone  id,  it  won't get
anywhere, no matter how good it is at doing Internet protocols. There
seems  to  be  no mention anywhere of the idea that the Mac might use
the ubiquitous cell-phone system.  Maybe I could use the Kyocera as a
cellular modem, but the Mac comes with so much wireless hardware that
it seems a shame not to use it.

As far as I can tell, the only available answer is "Buy one  and  see
if  it  works."  I'm not sure if I'm ready to invest that much money,
just to find that it will only work when I'm at home.

Sure would be useful, though.

(And, since I'd use it for testing my day-job stuff,  its  price  tag
would be deductible.  ;-)