>Phil Taylor writes:
>| I've put up a first rough beta version of BarFly Carbon, for all the
>| folks who've been badgering me for an OS X version.  You can download
>| it from: <http://www.barfly.dial.pipex.com/BarFlyCarbon.hqx>
>
>Hmmm ...  I'm getting more and more tempted to invest in a  PowerBook
>with OSX.  Now there's another reason.
>
>Actually, I've done a bit of digging, and have put it off because  of
>not  enough  information  to decide what to order.  While my official
>excuse  for  buying  one  would  be   for   "professional"   software
>development  reasons,  I'm  also  interesting in something that could
>function as a portable musical tool.  Maybe someone here  knows  more
>than I can get from apple.com.

Well, I bought a new Titanium G4 Powerbook about a month ago, so I
can answer some of your questions.

>There's a lot of hype about the wonderful music support, but  it  all
>seems  to  be aimed at people who are downloading and playing musical
>recordings.  This is interesting, of course, but it can  be  done  on
>nearly anything these days.

You're right, but Apple do it very prettily:-)

>More interesting would be the ability to
>use the machine as a recording studio.  I can tell that  a  PowerBook
>comes with a microphone, but I can't even tell from the specs whether
>it's mono or  stereo.

Mine didn't come with a microphone, but it has line-level audio inputs
(16 bits per channel stere).

>And,  of  course,  I'd  like  to  plug  in  N
>microphones, and it would be interesting to learn how large N can be.
>Can the "sound studio" software actually input N tracks from mics and
>play games with them?  Or can it only download the N tracks from some
>other computer?

Not sure about that.  You could use multiple USB microphones.  There's
nothing in the operating system to prevent recording multiple audio
channels, and a machine which can record full-screen video in real
time ought to be able to handle at least a dozen audio channels, but
you'd really need to speak to somebody who is doing this to find out
about the real situation.

>Another topic that's hard  to  get  straight  info  on  is  what  can
>actually be done with the wireless ports.

The standard airport thingy is for wireless ethernet.  You can use it
to connect to a base station which is connected to the internet via
modem or dsl.  There's also Bluetooth, about which I know absolutely
nothing.  As far as I know, if you want to connect to the internet
while you're out in the woods you will still have to use a cell phone,
although there are a variety of interfaces which could potentially
be used to connect the computer to the phone.

>As far as I can tell, the only available answer is "Buy one  and  see
>if  it  works."  I'm not sure if I'm ready to invest that much money,
>just to find that it will only work when I'm at home.

Try asking around on some of the comp.sys.mac usenet groups and you'll
probably find somebody who's done it if it can be done.

>Sure would be useful, though.
>
>(And, since I'd use it for testing my day-job stuff,  its  price  tag
>would be deductible.  ;-)

Yeah!

Phil Taylor