Joerg Anders writes:
| On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Bernard Hill wrote:
| > I confess I don't understand the Linux setup *at all*.
|
| Perhaps interesting: Two Microsoft ingeneers, Vinod Valloppillil and
| Josh Cohen had the task to answer this question in an internal
| Microsoft paper, which was betrayed to the open software foundation.
| This paper made history as the so-called "Halloween Document",
| see:
|
|  http://www.opensource.org/halloween
|
| The ingeneers came to some very interesting conclusions:
|
|   "Linux's (...) virtues over Windows NT include:
|       - Customization - ...
|       - Availability/Reliability -  ...
|       - Scaleability/Performance - ...
|       - Interoperability- ...

And in a related story that might mean a lot to the music  biz,  just
yesterday  there  was  the announcement of the "Linux Forum" that has
been formed by most of  the  big  consumer-electronics  firms  (Sony,
Matsushita,  Samsung,  Sharp,  Philips,  etc.).   The idea here is to
develop a common platform with all of the above characteristics.  The
obvious  competitor for all of them is Microsoft's Windows/CE system.
But they have explained  that  in  a  market  with  competition,  any
company  that  has to include Microsoft royalties in their product is
going to lose.  And since the innards of Microsoft's system  are  not
easily  available  to  them,  development  on  W/CE is slow and under
Microsoft's control.

Their target has a historic metaphor. We're all familiar with the old
distinction between a "does everything" box, versus buying components
and plugging them together.  If you just want  a  single  gadget  and
aren't  too concerned with quality, you can buy a boom-box or similar
all-in-one package, and be done with it.  Or you can buy  components,
go through all the fuss of making them play nice together, and end up
with much higher quality.  We've long had a market for both.

This "Linux Forum" idea sounds a  lot  like  they're  abandoning  the
boom-box  approach  to Microsoft and are aiming at a large market for
components that speak common protocols. By sharing the low-level code
and protocols, they may be able to make components that play together
without the usual grief.  Linux is the basis simply because they  can
get their hands on all the source, without restrictions or royalties.
Their add-on software will be proprietary (and possibly pricey),  but
they've  seen  the advantage to making the lower layers shared across
the industry.

They can probably avoid charges of collusion and monopoly as long  as
the low-level stuff is kept open and available to everyone.

One thing that has apparently been a shock to them:   The  new  Apple
iTunes store ($0.99 per track) is a fantastic success.  But it uses a
proprietary format that doesn't play on anything but a Mac.  Apple is
talking  about  a Windows version.  This locks out ALL the vendors in
this "Linux Forum" effort. They've gotta be thinking about the end of
their business, with Microsoft owning the industry.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how it works out.  Will there  be
only  one  big boom-box for sale?  Will there be a hundred vendors of
quality audio and video systems?  Wait and see ...