On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Bernard Hill wrote:

> >A short remark about this. Somtimes "open source" is equated with
> >"cost free". But even if I'd produce a Qt-only version, you had
> >to pay a lot. Not to me but to the Qt developer Trolltech and
> >to Microsoft.
>
> So what encourages the developer to develop code if there is no payment
> to the developer?

That wasn't the message. The message was: "Use Linux and the NoteEdit is
cost free!"

> I confess I don't understand the Linux setup *at all*.

Perhaps interesting: Two Microsoft ingeneers, Vinod Valloppillil and
Josh Cohen had the task to answer this question in an internal
Microsoft paper, which was betrayed to the open software foundation.
This paper made history as the so-called "Halloween Document",
see:

 http://www.opensource.org/halloween

The ingeneers came to some very interesting conclusions:

  "Linux's (...) virtues over Windows NT include:
        - Customization - ...
        - Availability/Reliability -  ...
        - Scaleability/Performance - ...
        - Interoperability- ...

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY ([EMAIL PROTECTED])