    Bernard> But why would you want to put :: at the end of the tune
    Bernard> when :| is correct notation? Do you really want to see a
    Bernard> repeat-both-ways barline at the end? I think not.

In modern notation you wouldn't, but if you were trying to make a
transcription look like the original, you might.  Early 17th century
music frequently ends with something that looks like a ::.

    Bernard> And a fermata over the final bar has no meaning
    Bernard> either. You could put it over the final note, but a
    Bernard> fermata over a barline means "a pause here" and that has
    Bernard> no meaning at the end, I suggest.

Again, this is the modern meaning of fermata, but earlier music does
use it differently.

--
Laura (mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097  fax: (801) 365-6574