Bernard Hill writes:

| And a fermata over the final bar has no meaning either. You could put it
| over the final note, but a fermata over a barline means "a pause here"
| and that has no meaning at the end, I suggest.

Actually, that's not an uncommon thing  in  printed  music,
though  it  is somewhat pointless.  It probably comes about
because the fermata  symbol  has  long  had  two  competing
meanings,  a hold/pause, and the literal Italian meaning of
"close", i.e., "end here".  In music before 1800 or so,  it
merely  marked  the end of a piece of music.  The confusion
probably came about because of the Romantic-era practice of
slowing down and stretching all endings.

I'd guess that the practice of putting a fermata over a bar
line  came  about  from  the feeling that putting it on the
note is wrong, because you don't end when  you  reach  that
note.  You end when you finish the last note.  So obviously
the fermata should be after  the  last  note,  either  just
before  the final bar line or above it.  This is a bit of a
silly line of reasoning, but  it  would  explain  why  some
people think it goes over the bar line.

Anyway, I've long  been  impressed  by  how  variable  (and
sloppy)  printed  music  notation  is.  Every publisher has
their own set of rules.  And they are all "standard".