On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 11:04:32AM +0200, Guido Gonzato wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, Bernard Hill wrote:
>
> > Good grief, is anyone ever going to put all this lot together? It's not
> > in the official standard or the draft extension. How are developers
> > supposed to work with this mish-mash?
>
> I missed this one (a single uppercase 'Z' meaning 1 measure rest), but
> a lot of information is contained in my 'Typesetting Music with ABC'
> (http://abcplus.sourceforge.net/#Typesetting%20Music%20with%20ABC).
> Incidentally, it's going to become 'Making Music with ABC' because I want
> to cover abcMIDI and BarFly.
>
> I'll add the 'Z' thing.

I had a read of this a couple of days ago. It's a fine thing. Covers a
lot of the things I haven't been keeping up to date with, very
interesting. (Though, the main reason I haven't been keeping too much of
an eye on these is because I need my abc to be world-readable, I have to
try and avoid using stuff that only works in one program ...)

It would be great to see it extended to cover some of the other programs
in more detail.

Incidentally, I see you don't mention the modal key-signatures, at all.
Could you maybe add at least a mention that they exist, perhaps like
your "todo - description of general tuplets" note; so that at least
people know they're there, and will be provoked to look for more if
they're interested ?

Also incidentally, reading it has clarified for me why people have been
passing comment on the illegibility of abcm2ps-specific code. The
alignment of your "d:" example, particularly, would give me nightmares
if I was trying to debug it. And also the w: lines ... They're very hard
to read & see what's happening.
I notice you say you wrote it in TeX, I guess it's a result of the way
that eats spaces ?

3) Linebreaking in multiple-voice music - a trick I've found helpful,
is that you can write all voices except one with slashes at the end of
lines, ie with no staff-breaks in. And then, if one voice does have
breaks in, it breaks as you'd expect, and all the other voices go with
it. This can make life a lot simpler than editing breaks in all the
voices. Might be worth a mention ?

--
Richard Robinson