On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 09:41:51PM +0200, I. Oppenheim wrote:

> > > If the music is in TeX, it is easy to handle the
> > > accompaniying text in (La)TeX as well.
> >
> > I'm not sure of your point here ? Do you mean that the packages you
> > mention can be used to convert ABC into TeX,
>
> It would be very useful if that would be made possible.
> Currently, only Lilypond has limited support for ABC
> import.

Yes. I looked at it briefly, but it didn't seem to cope with the things
I was giving it ...

> > as an alternative to converting it into eps via the
> > "usual suspects" ?
>
> The advantage would be that the text of the titles and
> lyrics would be handled according to the same (high)
> standards as the surrounding text that you would like
> to add with (La)TeX.

What I do is take all the text out of the abc tune, use the usual
abc2ps suspects to generate an eps of the bare tune (with no text),
have LaTeX set the title and any other abc-tune text (according to
a printf-style format string) and then use LaTeX's \includegraphics
to get the tune eps in.

> Furthermore, TeX allows you to finetune the music
> engraving to the highest publication quality.

Yes, I suppose so.
--
Richard Robinson