Frank Nordberg writes:

| Here's a simple thought experiment:

I loved that one! And I've seen any number of  examples  like  it  on
several  mailing  lists.   This  isn't surprising, because as Jack so
elegantly pointed out, there are a LOT of people who  type  and  read
abc  directly,  with no help from and abc software.  They use it as a
means of human-to-human musical communication. If they can understand
it, that's good enough.

I've seen a couple of cases where the writer got it almost right, but
put the note lengths before the note. This is every bit as logical as
putting it after the note, and Chris could have done it that way. But
it produces some "interesting" variants on the tunes when you feed it
to abc software.

I've also seen abc written with / or ! for  bar  lines,  single-quote
chars for chords, brackets for slurs, and other such variants. All of
these obviously made sense to the person who typed them, and I  could
read them, after a brief pause to figure out the encoding.

But I wouldn't call any of these "ABC".

A while back, I looked into the possibility of writing a program that
would translate solfa into abc. This sounds like a good idea, because
there's a fair amount of vocal music on the Web in solfa form.  But I
gave  up  after  a  bit  of  research.   Every  site seemed to have a
different notation that they called "solfa", and there was no obvious
common  syntax.  It's a lot like Frank's thought experiment, but it's
for real.  So solfa is a purely  human-readable  notation,  and  it's
pretty hopeless from a programmer's viewpoint.

It's somewhat of a shame, because there's a population of solfa users
out there, and they could benefit from abc-like software.  But unless
they can be persuaded to move to a common standard,  there  won't  be
much software written for them.