Wil Macaulay writes:

>>--- Due to popular demand, +...+ is now the preferred
>>syntax for notating decorations; !...! has been
>>deprecated, although it is still allowed.
>>

>I thought *....*  was proposed? although deprecated, +....+ is still
around
>as an alternate to [...] for chords.

        In addition, +..+ looks ugly, to me, at least.  Looked ugly for
chords, still looks ugly for decorations.  Oh well.  But this raises
another question: shouldn't the standard mention obsolete notation to
alert future developers to stuff which might be expected to show up in old
abc files? (It's not a very long list: +..+ for chords, s..s for slurs,
and [1, [2 for repeats come to mind. **, *, + and/or !---depending on what
is finally decided---are other cases in point.  There are probably a
couple more, but not many.) Abc2mtex has some flags: oldchords, oldslurs,
which allow it to process these; I don't know if other programs handle
them at all. Should they?

Cheers,
John Walsh