On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 11:15:14PM -0700, John Walsh wrote:
> Wil Macaulay writes:
> >
> >>--- Due to popular demand, +...+ is now the preferred
> >>syntax for notating decorations; !...! has been
> >>deprecated, although it is still allowed.
> >>

> >I thought *....*  was proposed? although deprecated, +....+ is still
> around
> >as an alternate to [...] for chords.

They were both proposed.

>       In addition, +..+ looks ugly, to me, at least.  Looked ugly for
> chords, still looks ugly for decorations.  Oh well.  But this raises
> another question: shouldn't the standard mention obsolete notation to
> alert future developers to stuff which might be expected to show up in old
> abc files? (It's not a very long list: +..+ for chords, s..s for slurs,
> and [1, [2 for repeats come to mind. **, *, + and/or !---depending on what
> is finally decided---are other cases in point.  There are probably a
> couple more, but not many.) Abc2mtex has some flags: oldchords, oldslurs,
> which allow it to process these; I don't know if other programs handle
> them at all. Should they?

AT least to list them, would be a good idea, so that if someone meets
them in a tune and their program doesn't handle them, they'll know what
they mean and be able to do the appropriate translation by hand.

WRT [ repeats - this document gives the impression they are the
preferred form, all the examples given use it.

I notice that the way it notes that "When adjacent to bar lines, these
can be shortened to  |1 and :|2" give the implication that "[" repeat
constructions can be used in mid bar. I've just checked, and see that
the abc2pses will do this - is it generally acepted ? If so, there is
reason to not regard these as obsolete, since this is something that
can't be done with the "|1" form (following on from which, I also
notice none of them accept that "A dotted bar line can be notated by
preceding it with a dot, e.g. `.|'")

--
Richard Robinson