On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 08:42:32PM +0200, Arent Storm wrote:
> From: "I. Oppenheim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > They are non standard in Western music, but you will
> > find something like [K:D _b _e ^f] often in e.g.
> > Klezmer (Ahavoh Rabboh) or Arabic music (Maqam Hedjaz).
>
> My first thing will always be to remove any non standard
> explicit accidentals, replacing them with inline accidentals
> and inform the player textwise that he/she is playing an unusual
> mode/key. Anyway lots of klezmer tunes change mode/key
> every few bars so the need for non-classical is rather limited IMO.
> The mode/key/accidental stuff is way too complicated for the
> average folk player (in the Netherlands anyway - wer'e not
> so smart you know ;-)

I remember when I first heard mention that "modes" could be introduced
into the ABC key signature (or maybe it was when I discovered they had
been. I don't remember it *that* well).

I felt the same about that. Complicated, academic, abstract, who on earth
needs it ? But I had a poke around with it, one rainy Sunday afternoon,
just to see what happened. And I discovered, to my suprise, that it worked
better than what I knew. It was a better description. I could get the key
signature I wanted _and_ say what the tonic was, both in one move.

So it became worthwhile to understand them; and now, years later, I can
even remember whether I mean dorian or mixolydian without having to look
them up, though I don't use the others so much.

If there are people who use ABC, or are considering using ABC,
for music where non-standard signatures are less non-standard,
they might make the same discovery.

--
Richard Robinson