On Mon, 13 Oct 2003, Dave Holland wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 01:03:23PM +0200, Martin Tarenskeen wrote:
> > Would be nice to start working on a commandline tool that can take many
> > types of music notation formats as input and produces any other of these
> > formats as output.
>
> I think it would be more use to have a program for each format that
> would convert files of that format to and from an independent format
> such as MusicXML. That way, when a new notation program is released
> (with its own new format!) you just have to produce an appropriate
> MusicXML converter and all the existing files become available.

I would prefer a modular design: A conversion tool that takes MusicXML -
if this becomes the most complete, widely spread, and widely accepted
standard - as it's central format. For each other format modules (drivers)
could be developed to convert TO as well as FROM that format. The central
conversion tool would then have all the information it needs to convert
all these formats to whatever format a user needs. The ideal situation
would be that the developers of Music Notation programs, who (should) know
there own format better than anyone else, would contribute the module for
their format.

This commandline tool could also easily be called and used by any notation
program, or directly on the commandline by the user. I think that would
cost far less programming effort than create support for all these formats
directly - like NoteEdit is trying right now ?

Besides, NoteEdit and KDE will never be able to run on my humble Atari
computer anyway ;-)

--

Martin Tarenskeen