Jeff Senn wrote:

> I'm a newcomer here.  Has the issue of non-12 tone music come up here
> before?
> I don't see anything in the pending standard about it...
>
> A lot of middle eastern (Turkish, Arabic, Persian, etc...) music is
> based
> on a quarter-tone (24 division) system; or in the case of some Turkish
> music up to 48 (or even more) divisions of the octave.  This is
> typically squeezed into
> the western system by using half-flats and half-sharps in the key
> signature
> and as accidentals.
>
> Also typically the key signature is written with an arbitrary number of
> flats/sharps/half-flats/half-sharps in it to represent the
> (non-western) mode.
>
> I recently snagged a copy of John Chambers's jcabc2ps so I could print
> some
> tunes and modified it for my purposes.  The 'quick hack' I used was to
> use "^/" and "_/" to represent half-sharps and flats -- thinking that
> later
> a real fraction can be used to do more-than-24 tone music.  e.g. "^3/48"
>
> -Jas

Hi Jeff,

I was considering exactly the same: Just hack the half-sharps and half-flats
in there. At the moment I'm trying to compile LilyPond, which has all the
microtonal stuff already in there..... but.... I'm glad all the ABC-programs
are so easy to compile :-)...

Think I like your syntax: using a forward slash to divide the sharps and flats.

Best wishes,
Pieter