On 21 Jan 2004, at 21:55, Jeff Senn wrote:
On Jan 21, 2004, at 12:49 PM, John Chambers wrote:
This does  seem  like  a  possibly  desirable  use  of  the
substitution-type  "macro".   I've  seen microtone notation
that uses an assortment of symbols.  If we allowed notation
like  ^3/24, people might not always want to type all that.

John- What did you mean by this? Do you refer to the !something! notation?
Or is there some *real* macro proposal?

Not just a proposal but a working implementation in use in BarFly for many years. John's suggestion would work. Given the macro definition:

m: Pn = ^3/24n

any note marked with a P would be rendered as ^3/24, and I
could have the program interpret that as a real pitch.

Not that I think that a particularly useful approach, since as
Jack says, musicians who use these pitches don't think of them
as fractional;  we really should not adopt something which is
totally at odds with existing musical practice.

Phil Taylor