Bert Van Vreckem writes:
| John Chambers wrote:
| > [...]  One of the ongoing challenges with my Tune Finder has
| > been handling ABC embedded inside HTML.  This is not a good idea,  of
| > course, but you can't stop people from doing it.  One of the frequent
| > ways that people do this includes indenting all the ABC to match  the
| > indentation  of  the HTML tags.  It looks fine on the screen, because
| > HTML renderers ignore such white space.  I've found one site that has
| > all its ABC done this way.  (I won't name them, to protect the guilty
| > - and clueless.  ;-)
|
| Don't protect them. Educate them! ;)

Well, yes and no.  When people ask for advice on how to  make  things
work better with tools like mine, I'll make some suggestions. But one
of the useful things about the web is that you are free to  put  your
site  together  however  you  like, without regard for any stranger's
advice on how to do it right.  This makes for a bit of a mess, but it
also  allows  people  to invent interesting things that wouldn't have
ever appeared if we all had to follow someone else's rules.

And some people don't want their site indexed by a  site  like  mine.
There  is  even  a  conventional  method (in the robots.txt file) for
telling web searchers to stay away, which my search  program  honors.
There's  an  intermediate  level  of  people  who  want  their  sites
accessible via browser but not other kinds of web software. I may not
like  it  when  people  do  this, but I have to admit that it's their
right to do so.

I've seen the this attitude from a number of site owners.   A  common
reaction to suggestions like "The ABC tunes inside your web pages are
difficult for software to extract" is to say "All you have to  do  is
cut and paste to your ABC app's window". There's not much you can say
clear  that the person really does want you to do extract the tune by
hand, not by using a tool that automates the task.

There are also a number of sites  whose  owners  don't  want  you  to
download  just one tune.  This is basically what my Tune Finder does,
of course, and I know of a couple of sites that have taken  steps  to
explicitly interfere with this. Again, it's their right to do so. (In
a couple of cases, I've given them advice on how to do it.  ;-)

OTOH, when you put something on the web, it's well within the  rights
of  people like me to attempt to read it and do something useful with
it.  So sites that do things like putting ABC inside HTML (and  maybe
indenting it) can be taken as an interesting technical challenge.

The growing need to include HTML parsers in every program  does  make
life  difficult for software developers, though.  Especially when you
consider all the bad HTML out there from some of the  commercial  web
site  development  packages.   Your  parser  has  to  not just handle
standard HTML, but also Microsoft HTML.

(Gotta get in the traditional anti-MS bash, y'know. ;-)