> Just a thought - are the text spacers supposed to have any effect
> on the score, or just space the abc listing?

They only affect the source - intended to aid readability by letting you
align notes in the ABC without breaking beams in the staff notation.  In
this case they fill the gap where the gracenotes go.  (There's a poem
by the Scottish poet Edwin Morgan that works the same way - the text has
random holes in it and there is a companion poem of verbal "Polyfilla"
with the missing text in the right places to plug the blanks).  I've used
them in almost every tune I've transcribed since BarFly began to support
them.

Using ! as a staffbreak has the same motivation - it's to reconcile
conflicts between source readability and staff-notation readability.
I don't know what BarFly does with multivoice tunes using ! as a
staffbreak, but I suspect its implementation is too simple to work,
so I didn't even try with this example, though I intend to migrate
all my single-line tunes into that style eventually.