Richard Robinson writes:
| On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 06:49:43PM +0000, John Chambers wrote:
|
| That's an intriguing thought. How does Arabic song-transcription work ?
| is the music written right-to-left ?

Yes.  There's a traditional notation  that's  not  at  all  like  the
European staff notation, but I don't know how it works.  You also see
staff notation that's the mirror imagee of how Europeans print it, so
that  lyrics will look normal underneath the notes.  You see the same
thing in Yiddish song books  from  eastern  Europe,  and  the  Hebrew
liturgy is often written this way.  It scares people at first, but it
really only takes a few minutes to get used to it. Arab musicians can
generally read music equally easily in either direction (if they read
music at all). It's no big deal. Reading your language backwards is a
real pain, so it's easier to reverse the music.

| And then ... is it a Mongolian alphabet, that goes down one line and
| then up the next ?

No, it goes top-down, with the first line (column) at the left.  It's
actually  a rotated version of an Arabic-like script, derived from an
old Syriac form of that sort of writing back around the 12th  century
during  the  Mongol  expansion.   It's  a true phonemic alphabet with
symbols for both consonants and vowels.  I can't read it at all.  The
Soviets  also  devised  a Cyrillic form of Mongolian (but that is now
deprecated ;-).

One sort of zig-zag writing you may have read about was used  by  the
ancient Greeks.  It's interesting to see inscriptions written in that
script.  You can really see the connection between the older  Semitic
scripts  and  the  modern European scripts.  But it's probably a good
thing that they gave up on it before printing was invented. I've seen
people write English this way, just as a prank.  I've seen my wife do
this; she can write mirror English nearly as fast as normal  English,
without messing up the mirror-image letters like 'b' and 'd'.

I once took a linguistics class in which one assignment was to devise
a  good writing system for English, based on any other writing system
of your choice.  Some people in the class came up with some very good
English scripts based on other alphabets.

In the past couple of decades, the  Mayan  writing  has  been  mostly
decoded.   It  might be fun to try to make this work for English.  It
wouldn't be easy, though, because Mayan writing was a syllabary,  and
English isn't a good language for syllabary writing. And, as far as I
know, the Mayans didn't have a music notation.  The scholars  haven't
reported anything that looks like music, to my knowledge, though they
have reportedly identified poetry in some of the inscriptions.