On 6 Nov 2005, at 08:50, Remo D. wrote:

> My proposal is based on a set of note heads like: "head-square",
> "head-moon", ... to be used in the following ways:
>
>   0) a suitable default for special cases (e.g. sharp == x shaped notes
> for percussions)
>
>   1) mapping them explicitly (e.g." %%notehead square F" ). We should
> provide a semantic for altered notes: in the preceeding example, how
> should the head of "^F" shaped? My suggestion is that it should have a
> square note head and the regular alteration sign. We should define a
> semantic for pitch on different octaves. An example:
>     %%notehead square F F,      % Only F, and F will be "squared"
>     %%notehead triangle G all    % G G, g g' ... will all be
> "triangled"
>     %%notehead regular G all    % Back to the standard noteheads
>
>   2) as default for an entire voice: "V:2 head=triangle"
>
>   3) as decoration for a single note: "C +head-triangle+G E"
>
>   4) or for a group of notes: "z +head-triangle(+ C G E
> +headtriangle)+"
>
> The usual proviso on clarity is in place, so that 3) and 4) could be
> rewritten as:
>
>     C       G         E z                C G E
> s:  * +head-triangle+ * * +head-triangle(+ * +head-triangle)+
>
>  A natural question is how many heads should we provide? Should we only
> stick to the "head-xxxx" syntax leaving the actual note head string up
> to the transcriber (and its interpretation to the applications?)

The problem with this is that it won't deal with what is probably the
best known and most used shapenote system, i.e. the system used in
Sacred Harp singing.  Here, the note shapes are not attached to specific
notes, but to scale positions.  So the tonic is always a triangle,
the second the normal shape, the third a square and the fourth a
diamond.
The sequence repeats itself in the upper tetrachord of the scale.

To make this a little more complicated, the system takes no account of
modes, and so the shapes are attached to the same notes in Am as they
would
be in C (i.e. C is reckoned to be the first note of the scale for any
key signature that doesn't have sharps or flats, regardless of where the
tonic actually is.)

To do this, a program would have to take into account the K: field, and
shape the notes accordingly.

Phil Taylor

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/mjFolB/TM