Remo D. escreveu:
> Well, this is where my lack of musical knowledg pops up :)
>
> I didn't know there was a standard about note heads so I tried to figure
> out a mechanism to implement an association.

Some links about Shaped Notes (thanks to Eduardo Vieira):
http://www.paperlesshymnal.com/shapnote/shaped.htm
http://www.mit.edu:8001/people/ijs/shapenote.html

> I'll re-read carfully Phil's message and yours (plus your fmt &
> postscript) to understand better (and will google on the net). I
> entirely missed the part on notes names ....

Solfa note names are used in Hungarian music teaching (see my "domovel"
examples). They have no direct relation with shaped notes, but both work
in a very similar way.

> Anyway, from a syntax point of view, what's missing in ABC?

I think nothing is missing on this matter.

Or, perhaps, it's "missing" just a standard way to activate these
special modes, like [V:1 shapednotes], or %%shapednotes. More complex
and special associations could call for the extensions you've suggested,
but I figure they will be rarely used.

> If the
> association is standardized and only dependant on the key why should
> they change during the tune?

When I said the association could change inside a tune, I was talking
only about solfa names, not about shaped notes.

Temporary modulations are sung according to the local key, not that one
from K: field. (However, we always have the option to use the "exp"
option of K:...)

BTW, ABC is missing a "none" (or like) argument for K:exp :

K:F#m exp=none

Concerning to *modes*, they are sung in two ways:

1) Using only the "diatonic" names:

Dorian:
re mi fa so la ti do' re'

Mixolydian:
so, la, ti, do re mi fa so

2) Using "comparative" names:

Dorian (please note the 'fi'):
la, ti, do re mi fi so la

Mixolydian (please note the 'ta'):
do re mi fa so la ta do'

But... there is not a need to have all this in ABC standard, because
solfa names *as note heads* only are used in an initial stage of music
learning. After that, the w: field, or an annotation can print
occasional solfa tips.

> As for the "%%setdrum ..." I agree that the the name could be
> misleading. I'm ok with "%%setpercussion" (from my point of view is just
> a matter of modify a string :) ).

We can do that change to %%setpercussion before %%setdrum becomes
standard...

BTW, Seymour Shlien just uploaded a new version of abcMIDI with some
percussion support:

http://ifdo.pugmarks.com/%7Eseymour/runabc/abcMIDI-2005-11-06.zip

--
Hudson Lacerda <http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/hfmlacerda/>
*Não deixe seu voto sumir! http://www.votoseguro.org/

Yahoo! Acesso Grátis: Internet rápida e grátis.
Instale o discador agora!
http://br.acesso.yahoo.com/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/mjFolB/TM