-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Pranav Lal
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:45 PM
To: 'pamnani'; accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Draft policy for exams urgent

Kanchan,

1. Why specify the software that is to be used? A person could be
comfortable in writing an exam even in an application like Open office.

2. Why copy and paste from Pagemaker? This could create a problem with
tables. Ideally, question papers should be Microsoft Office documents such
that the text is in word and data relating to accounts problems etc should
be in Excel. Assuming this is not possible then just ask for Word files
without specifying the conversion.

3. <snip a. In case the candidate avails the services of his/her own
scribe/writer, the scribe/writer   should be one grade junior in academic
qualification than the candidate if from the same stream.  However, this
condition shall not apply if the scribe/writer is from a different stream.
PL] Why should this guideline be present at all? Detecting cheeting is the
authority's responsibility.

b. For competitive examinations the scribe needs to be one level below the
eligibility criteria of the competitive exam in consideration.
PL] Why? See the logic in the above point.

Another thing with a computer, it should be of a configuration greater than
what is the minimum required to support the screen reader. This is necessary
since the student will be running other software as well so system resources
must be sufficient to run the operating system, the screen reader and other
software concurrently.

4. It is good to have a UPS at the center but you need to specify that the
computer on which the student is writing must be connected to this UPS.
Plus, the UPS must be tested to ensure that it is providing backup.

5. A student should be given extra time if the technology fails.

6. If the authority is providing a scribe, the candidate must have a
provision to meet the scribe a day before the exam. This would ensure that
the 2 get comfortable with one another. It would also give the candidate a
chance to check whether the scribe is suitable.

7. As regards the extra time, make it 30 minutes for every hour.

8. In the Delhi University, before I could take an exam, I had to be tested
to ensure that I was still blind. My blindness is unchanging. Once tested,
the condition will not change. I was tested every year though. This is a
pain. The policy must stop this repeated testing.

Pranav

To unsubscribe send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with