The biggest difference between Mastodon and Twitter can be summed up
in a single word: decentralization.
Social media platforms like Twitter are centralized, meaning they’re
owned and operated by a single company. That company builds features,
moderates content, tweaks algorithms, and handles all other tasks that
come with running a social network.
Comparatively, while there are people at a non-profit company called
Mastodon gGmbH that work on the social platform known as Mastodon —
stick with us here — the platform itself isn’t centralized within that
company. That’s because it’s made up of thousands of independent
servers.
Think of a Mastodon server as a mini social network or a forum.
Usually, a server is organized around a specific interest, topic, or
industry. Once you’ve joined a server, you can follow, reply to, and
engage with anyone on Mastodon, no matter what server they’re on.
But what can you do on Mastodon exactly? The short answer: a lot of
the same things you can do on Twitter. You can talk about what’s on
your mind, contribute to conversations that pop up in your feed, post
pictures of your cats, and so on. You get your feed, where you’ll see
posts from the people you follow, and an explore tab that lets you
find new interesting folks.
You’ll see some differences, of course. For example, you can’t start a
thread the way you do on Twitter, but you can reply to yourself and
essentially replicate a Twitter thread. You’ll also need to pick a
server to host your account.
The biggest servers are general, meaning they have no specific topic —
these will feel more similar to Twitter. But you’ll also find that
tech topics, like Bitcoin and software development, have some of the
most popular servers. You can use a platform like mastodonservers.net
to find the server you
https://blog.hootsuite.com/what-is-mastodon/

--
What’s most important is to put the person first, the disability
second  Because we all are people first.