It is absolutely correct that none can be proved right or wrong in the
case of a phone confirmation. How would it be if a VI informs the bank
through mail as soon as he issues a cheque? Now a days with the CBS,
all branches are connected through the net. So, though the cheque is
presented at any place, a final confirmation from the branch where the
customer has an account is required. At this stage the banker has to
see whether a mail has come from the VI customer or not. Here one
suggestion is that while issuing cheque book to a VI customer, the
words "VI" can be printed on the cheque so that the banker knows that
it is a cheque given by a VI customer. If printing is impractical, a
rubber stamp can be used for this purpose. After all I don't think any
branch of a bank will have VI customers atleast in double digits.
Whatever I have said is according to a lay man's knowledge like mine.
So, I repeat. I stand corrected.

Vamshi. G
Landline: 0877-2243861
Mobile: 09949349497