From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
sriniv...@srinivasu.org
Sent: Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:23 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] NEWS RELEASE-Accessible ATMs for the disabled

Hi Vamshi,
You are right, there are more than one ATM in on room. But in that case
banks should consider having closed partitions. Else it would be risk in
any ways. What if the next customer grab away the cash from VI customer?
think bankers should ensure to have a security personnel.

Srinivasu

Hi Srinivasu

> One person in the ATM cabin at one time?  Gone those good old days.
>
> Now a days, due to space constraints, banks are accommodating more
> than one ATMs in one cabin.  For example, take the case of an on site
> ATM set up in the premises of my branch, there are three ATMs in one
> room.
>
> This is risky even for sighted persons. the person by your side can
> easily see the pin number which you type.  Going by this, if the ATM
> announces the pin number as *, as Jaws does in case of passwords, I
> don't think there is any other risk exclusively for VH persons.
>

> --
> G. Vamshi
> PH Res : +91 877-2243861
> Mobile: +91 9949349497
> E-mail ID:
> gvamsh...@gmail.com
> Skype: gvamshi81
>
> God helps those who help themselves
>

> On 8/12/09, Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged, St.
> Xavier's College <xr...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> NEWS RELEASE
>>
>> Accessible ATMs for the disabled no longer a distant reality
>>
>> NCR Corporation and Diebold, showcase accessible ATMs that enable the
>> visually challenged to do banking transaction with ease at the
Xavier&#8217;s
>> Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged (XRCVC), St.
Xavier&#8217;s
>> College,
>> Mumbai.
>>
>> August 12, 2009
>>
>> MUMBAI, India &#8212; NCR Corporation (NYSE: NCR), and Diebold (NYSE:
DBD)
>> today
>> showcased their latest ATMs that enables the disabled to do banking
with
>> ease at St. Xavier&#8217;s College, Mumbai. The Xavier&#8217;s
Resource
Centre for
>> the
>> Visually Challenged (XRCVC), a support and advocacy unit within the
St.
>> Xavier&#8217;s College, Mumbai, has worked closely with the banking
sector and
>> has
>> interfaced actively with two of the largest ATM manufacturers in
India
&#8211;
>> NCR
>> Corporation and Diebold India to make ATMs accessible for the
disabled
>> people.
>>
>> Both organizations are now ready for testing the ATMs at the XRCVC.
>> These
>> test results will be finally used for feedback purposes and up
scaling
>> into
>> final deployment.
>>
>> Key Features of these Accessible ATM&#8217;s include:
>> Audio startups and guide of menu&#8217;s
>> Voice output for transaction
>> Tactile cues for the buttons
>> Colour contrast and font sizes accessible for low vision users
>> Cubicle and ATM size accessible for a wheelchair users
>>
>> Sharing his views, Dr. Sam Taraporevala, Director XRCVC said:
&#8220;It
is a
>> well
>> known fact that ATMs today have increased convenience banking for the
>> able
>> body customers. For the same effect to take place involving disabled
>> people,
>> ATMs will need to scale to meet accessibility standards. The ATM
>> industry,
>> as well as banking industry all over the world, has made
accessibility
>> an
>> inherent part of its production and deployment. It is time that the
>> international leading players in the ATM industry extend their
>> experience to
>> meet the Indian Banking Industry&#8217;s recognition to provide
accessible
>> banking
>> services for the persons with disabilities. We are happy that Diebold
>> and
>> NCR have taken this initiative.&#8221;
>>
>> Sharing his views, Pradeep Sen, Managing Director for NCR in India
said,
>> &#8220;NCR is committed to investing in innovative self-service
technologies
>> that
>> would change the way people connect, interact and transact with
>> businesses.
>> We are happy to showcase this ATM with features that would make
banking
>> easier for the visually challenged, thereby, reinforcing our
commitment
>> of
>> making ATMs accessible to all types of consumers. NCR continues to
work
>> closely with industry regulators and the banking fraternity to
introduce
>> self-service solutions that are easy to use and most relevant in
meeting
>> both social and economic objectives. As a part of our standard
offering,
>> all
>> NCR ATMs meet the ADA guidelines ensuring &#8216;Access For
All&#8217;.&#8221;

>> Talking about the collaboration, Naresh Hosangady, Managing Director,
>> Diebold India said &#8220;Diebold has been providing innovative
solutions to
>> the
>> Indian ATM industry and we will continue to introduce newer
technologies
>> and
>> solutions for the Indian banking industry. We are delighted to be
>> associated
>> with XRCVC to extend technological benefits for the &#8216;Specially
Abled&#8217;.
>> Diebold machines comply with the ADA standards, are ergonomically
>> designed
>> for the visually challenged, and have the capability of both touch
>> screen
>> and Braille enabled function keys for enhanced user experience. For
>> personalized voice guidance, the machines are equipped with a head
phone
>> jack and volume control features. To enhance security, the machines
have
>> the
>> capability of an integrated digital video recorder. We are proud to
>> offer
>> ATMs for the specially abled and are looking at deployments across
India
>> as
>> per banks requirements.&#8221;
>>
>> Access to financial services has become a key criterion to
independent
>> living in the rapidly globalising world. In the last couple of years
>> people
>> with disabilities in India have seen forward looking legislations at
the
>> central government level and the banking industry in their favour.
>>
>> The Reserve Bank of India through its circulars in June 2008 -
&#8216;Banking
>> Facilities for the Visually Challenged&#8217; and the circular on
13th
April
>> 2009-
>> &#8216;Need for Bank Branches/ATMs to be made accessible to persons
with
>> disabilities&#8217; has made its commitment to the disable population
of India
>> for
>> financial accessibility.
>>
>> According the to the Global ATM Market & Forecasts 2013 report
published
>> by
>> Retail Banking Research (RBR), the penetration of ATMs in India is
>> pretty
>> low compared to other developing countries in Asia.
>>
>> For instance in 2007 (According to RBR), India had 34765 ATMs with 31
>> ATMs
>> per million while China had 130000 ATMs with 98 ATMs per million.
>> Similarly,
>> Singapore had 1906 ATMs with 419 ATMs per million, Philippines had
7513
>> ATMs
>> with 82 ATMs per million and Indonesia had 19607 ATMs with 84 ATMs
per
>> million.
>>
>> The RBR ATM Report forecasts that by 2013 the number of installations
in
>> India would have reached 1, 00,000 an increase of almost 200% on the
>> figure
>> of 2007 which was at 34,765 ATMs
>>
>> About XRCVC
>> The Xavier&#8217;s Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged
(XRCVC)
is a
>> state
>> of the art support centre, aiming to work towards the holistic
>> development
>> of visually challenged persons. It is located at St. Xavier&#8217;s
College,
>> Mumbai.  XRCVC works towards creating an enabling environment to
>> facilitate
>> the development of an inclusive society both at the micro as well as
the
>> macro levels thereby providing equal opportunities for holistic
growth
>> for
>> the visually challenged. Towards this end, the XRCVC has launched
>> project
>> access which aims at promoting financial access for the visually
>> challenged.
>> For more details, visit our website at www.xrcvc.org
>>
>> About Diebold Incorporated
>> Diebold, Incorporated (NYSE: DBD) is a global leader in providing
>> integrated
>> self-service delivery and security systems and services. Diebold
India
>> is a
>> wholly owned subsidiary of Diebold, Incorporated and is headquartered
in
>> Mumbai, India, with an infrastructure supporting more than 780
locations
>> across the country. Diebold is a leader in managed services for ATMs
in
>> India and provides services 24 hours a day, seven days a week to more
>> than
>> 15,000+ ATMs in the country. Diebold employs more than 17,000
associates
>> with representation in nearly 90 countries worldwide and is
>> headquartered in
>> Canton, Ohio, USA. For more information, visit the company's Web site
at
>> www.diebold.com, or visit www.diebold.com/150 to learn more about
>> Diebold's
>> 150-year history.
>>
>> About NCR Corporation
>> NCR Corporation (NYSE: NCR) is a global technology company leading
how
>> the
>> world connects, interacts and transacts with business. NCR&#8217;s
assisted-
>> and
>> self-service solutions and comprehensive support services address the
>> needs
>> of retail, financial, travel, healthcare, hospitality, entertainment,
>> gaming
>> and public sector organizations in more than 100 countries.  NCR
>> (www.ncr.com) is headquartered in Duluth, Georgia.
>>
>> NCR is a trademark of NCR Corporation in the United States and other
>> countries.
>>
>> Those who would like to experience these two DEMO accessible
ATM&#8217;s which

>> Xavier's Resource Centre for the Visually Challenged (XRCVC)
>> St. Xavier's College, 5 Mahapalika Marg
>> Mumbai - 400001
>>
>> +91 22 22620661-5 (extn: 366)
>> +91 22 22623298 (direct)