Currently the persons with disability are already not represented in Jobs
sufficiently which is clear from number of surveys done by NGOs and Govt. If
Govt. can provide relaxation in marks to SC/ST/OBC and others to increase
their representation in the Govt. Jobs, perhaps there is no harm in
concluding that such a measure will help people with disabilities too to
increase their representation.

Standing on own feet and being financially independent gives you a freedom,
independence and social status besides Confidence in yourself. Hence, It
should be provided and used effectively by the PWDs.

I agree Rajesh that we need to explore and create awareness about reasonable
accommodation and non-handicapping environment - better called as accessible
environment to see that once inducted the PWDs do not set wrong precedents
and notions about disability in the minds of employers!
regards

2009/9/2 Asudani, Rajesh <rajeshasud...@rbi.org.in>

> Well, here we must distinguish between two things:
> 1. reasonable accommodation/nonhandicapping environment and
> 2. Relaxed standards.
>
> First thing is a must if persons with disabilities are to
> participate/compete in the world at large and lead productive and
> satisfactory and satisfying lives.
> Extra time falls in this category.
> Relaxation in qualifying marks falls into the second category which may be
> necessary for some time and in certain conditions.
> I personally feel that persons with disabilities are surely a weaker
> section of society and even relaxed standards in admissions etc. are surely
> required at present, more so when we are extravagantly offering such relaxed
> standards to many so-called weaker sections of society.
> I say so even though I personally have never taken benefit of any such
> relaxed standards in education or employment, but I can surely feel the need
> for many, many disabled persons.
> So, please keep the distinction in mind, and maybe, a time will come when
> we may be able to do away justly with relaxed standards, but never should we
> make haste to do away with reasonable accommodation/nonhandicapping
> environment.
> For now, both are required in my opinion.
>
> Regards
>

> Rajesh Asudani
>
> Assistant General Manager (PPS),
> Reserve Bank of India
> Nagpur
> 09420397185
> O: 0712 2806676
> Res: 0712 2591349
> Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
> John Milton

Warm regards,

Subhash Chandra Vashishth
Mobile: +91 (11) 9811125521
Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to. Consider
environment!