As for as my understanding is concerned, certainly the student that
you mentioned will be able to use computer provided with certain
adaptations. Since he is having functional limitations in his fine
motor skills, it would be much easier to use head mouse for him. In
addition head mouse users generally do not use keyboard for typing and
they use key strokes for editing text messages. In addition they use
their inhalation and exhalation capacity to do mouse clicks. Remember,
"Key strokes" that I am mentioning here is not something similar that
we are using our day-to-day JAWS life and the key strokes these people
are using is something similar to text messaging.
Since you mentioned that he prefers high quality natural speech,
nowadays  speech generating devices like Dynavox comes with both
digitized speech and synthetic speech.  I know, these technologies are
expensive but demands for these kinds of technology is often getting
ignored and as a consequence,  these  technologies are beyond the
reach of those who need them..

Thank You.

Your's Sathiyaprakash