From: Dlu South
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2010 11:54 AM
Subject: Solidarity - Pledge on the need for new law

Dear Friends,

Greetings from Vidya Sagar!

Please find attached the solidarity pledge.

The disability sector wants a new law and not amendment. But with the news
articles of different news magazine we are literally confused as to the
perspective of the Ministry for a new law. Therefore, we would like to propose
a campaign of sending as many solidarity pledges as possible from the sector to
the PMO, Concerned Ministries demanding New Law.

We have attached the sample of the pledge.

We have initiated this campaign already. We request you to get as many
signatures as possible from disabled  people and their allies and send it to
the Prime Minister and to the concerned ministry at the earliest.

Thanking you,

With warm regards,
Rajiv Rajan

SOLIDARITY PLEDGE

The disabled people in India demand a new law instead of the proposed
amendments to the existing Persons with Disabilities (Equal opportunities,
Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.

India has ratified the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with
Disabilities (UNCRPD).

The convention obligates the ratifying countries to align the existing laws to
the provisions of the UNCRPD or to bring is new law to protect the rights of
disabled people.

The PWD Act 1995 and the proposed amendments to the Act do not reflect

1.     The voices of the disabled people

2.     The amendments are not in tune with the UNCRPD.

Therefore, the disability sector demands a new law and will not accept
amendments to the existing Law.

I ------------------------------------------, pledge in solidarity, in the
demand

for a New Law.