From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Asudani,
Rajesh
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 9:57 AM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] Fw: Solidarity - Pledge on the need for new law

Hello Viraj
Primarily they are thinking of a new law, because number of proposed
amendments runs into about hundred or so.
However, I don't think government would usher in a new law altogether,
and we would have half-baked amendments at best.
Disability sector, or a few organizations  at least, are also pushing
for one single law for all disabilities instead of different laws
dealing with different ones. However, this is something I do not approve
of. In my Opinion, we have to draw distinctions between at least:
1. Sensory disabilities like visual, auditory,
2. Physical disabilities like orthopedically disabled, and
3. Intellectual disabilities like learning disabilities etc.

Mental disease, in my opinion, should altogether be taken out of
disability perview, as it is a disease and has different consequences
than disability.

However, these views of mine, were summarily put aside at a national
level consultation  last year, and the official stand of some NGOs which
was already well formulated before such consultations was adopted for
further debate and zonal consultations.

Finally, Mr. Mukul Vasnik is supreme and he would give us the gift,
maybe in this budget session or next, with voice vote without any
referral to standing parliamentary committees.

Regards

"Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God-- but to create
Him."

                                        --Arthur C. Clarke

(Rajesh Asudani)

Assistant General Manager,