Hi friends, I have discussed already extensively upon this topic. I
also thought to perchase Dell laptop but I dropped the idea just
because of the dichotomy of 64 bit windows. Dell has stopped providing
32 bit OS. Even with other manufacturers in neer future only 64 bit
will be available as 32 bit is vanishing from the market.  Finally I
perchased Lenovo machine with no operating system and I have installed
xp upon it and I am enjoying with my all softwares which are easely
supposed to run upon 32 bit platform. Its true that in future not so
much applications will be available for 32 bit but till now we dont
have various softwares which could be run on 64 bit platform due to
various reasons. But one thing I want to asure that at least for next
five years the softwares for supporting xp will be available. As still
you can find various softwares which support to windows ME, and
windows 2,000. Therefore till any solution is achieved with 64 bit
prefer xp or 32 bit win 7.
Its very right observation that may Dell would not supply drivers for
32 bit since it has stopped that to supply with 32 bit. I recommend u
to go for any machine which is having no OS and install xp upon it
urself. I will not recommend u to pay for the window which u at the
end of the day have to uninstall.