From: accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in
[mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Amar Jain
Sent: Monday, November 07, 2011 10:02 AM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: [AI] Screen Readers: Maintaining careful listening for long time?

Dear All,
Looking for experts’ views in this matter. This problem relates to my study as
well.
We understand the fact that we heavily rely on audio since we use screen
readers. Now when you have to work with them for long hours, and at the same
time you have to maintain careful reading, so that you don’t end up missing the
most tricky things.
Given the fact that I am in one of those field where every single word has its
own value, I am at great loss if after some time, my same power of
concentration starts reducing. (Please understand the fact that it is not that
I am not able to comprehend the things, nor it is so that screen readers miss
the things due to fast speed, nor it is so that since I use Jaws at 62% (109)
with all punctuations, I am missing the things.)
In such a case, what is happening is that since the audio is keep playing,
sometimes you feel that you are getting the whole thing fit in your brains, but
actually some of the minutest detail you start missing. (they just pass through
your ears but details do not process in your brain).
Please note, word is ‘minutest’.
Reduction in speed is not a good solution, nor I can afford taking frequent
breaks (specially when I start working). Switching to speakers instead of
headphones can be temporary solution till the time I don’t enter in my job.
What solutions you all apply in such situations?
I feel specially those who are into proof reading can suggest me some solution
of this problem. But that doesn’t mean that I am excluding others from giving
their views.
If my problem is understood at the appropriate level and if it is taken in
right way, then I am sure to see a very healthy discussion on this point. And I
know this fact that there will be many who must have faced this problem,
whether they realize it or not, that is all together a different issue.
Look forward for some solution.
Regards
Amar Jain.
Register for AccessIndia convention 2011(November 12-13)  at:
http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/convention.htm