what about those child, where their parents don't want to keep their own disabled children at home with them. preparatory units! where so called trained teachers will be appointed and they will have the cream on the name of disabled students, can a sighted person learn braille in 15 days? if he can't is it possible that he can teach braille or other accesibility to the blind student within 15 days? why not special schools in every district? where billions of rupees are landing in sarva shiksha abhiyan by the government? the concept of integrated education is applicable only in so called cities of india? could anyone help me to get admission a blind girl living in very remote area, is 800 KMS from the capital city of chhattisgarh? no agency came out, finally we filed a petition in the high court of chhattisgarh and got order against the government that all the blind girls living in bastar have to occomodate for their schooling in the separate hostel at jagdalpur, the dist. headquarter of bastar. if SC AND ST sighted students can be facilitated in the separate hostel and schools by the government, why not disabled?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ajay Minocha" <ajayminoc...@gmail.com>
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 11:12 PM
Subject: Re: [AI] Satyamev jayte: don't we require special schools any more?

Hi friends,
I am not agree with this statement that in normal schools disabled
children are easily forgiven for their mistakes. In my school days I
was perhaps the most mischeavious student of my class specially till
10th standard but I used to be equally punished. My teachers don't
remember mefor standing first in class but those are the memories of
their punishments which are still alive with me as well as them. It is
true that practically a so called inclusive school cannot fulfill all
the needs of a disabled studentspecially in today's era. But it is
also true that a special school isolates him or her from general
environment. According to me disabled students must be sent to a
preparatory unit before exposing them to school. And as they grow
older then they must be given ediquit knowledge of mobility, self
presentation, screen readers, personal highgene etc. Now a days there
are many special educators and trainors who do these works as part
time jobs.  At least it is not difficult for those families which are
living in developed cities. But those disabled children who are living
in rural areas then at least till 5 to 10 years there is no such
practical substitute of a special school available for them.
Regards