From: "Shreedhar TS." <tss....@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, July 13, 2012 3:13 PM
To: <accessindia@accessindia.org.in>
Subject: Re: [AI] about malayalam text

Well, There could be more than one ways, but let me explain the way I
use for Kannada, which should be same with the other languages.
install the 'Baraha' software from www.baraha.com. Then open Start
menu > all programs > baraha x > baraha direct. Note: 'x' here stands
for the version here. Now you should be able to see Baraha direct Icon
in your System tray (usually Bottom
right corner of your video display unit / monitor) Jaws users can use
'Ins+f11' for bringing up the system tray Icon list. Click the right
mouse button on Baraha direct Icon, A context menu will be popped,
then navigate to 'Malayalam' 'Malayalam' is a sub menu, in Malayalam
sub menu, choose the Item 'Unicode' and hit enter. Note: at any time,
if you want to switch back to English, press 'f11' and press the same
key to switch to Malayalam. Now press 'f11' to switch back to English,
open word, set the font to either 'Kartika' or to 'arial Unicode Ms'
and again press 'f11' and start Typing in. The typed text will be
displayed in Malayalam. The keyboard layout is phonetic, thats to say,
lik typing in English. Eg: if you Type malayALaM it will be displaied
as Malayalam in Malayalam Alphabets.
Hope this clears your doubt. The same method
can be adapted for any Indic languages, in menus, you need to select
appropriate language. Need to select the appropriate font in Ms word.