Congrats as a girl has also spoken up...

-----Original Message-----
From: AccessIndia [mailto:accessindia-boun...@accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of
Siddhi Desai
Sent: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 12:32 PM
To: accessindia@accessindia.org.in
Subject: Re: [AI] PARAVOOR:Mass wedding held for visually challenged

Hi Guys,

I have been following this discussion and have also read the
discussion related to this subject since i am the member of the list.

I really appreciate everyone's opinion and admire  facts and
observations put by our list member so  clearly, systematically and
convincingly.

on the basis of this discussion, i could infer that  marrying to
sighted or non-sighted person is very subjective.
every view and action leading to it will have it's own
risks,challenges and problems.
Off course  the time, we have vision impairment we start bravely
fighting and overcoming different hurdles in our life from education
to employment, from personal family problems to social problems.
But we all fight boldly to all sorts of problems. we share  and
discuss various difficulties and solutions  on this list.
similarly, in this case "whom to marry" is very inconclusive due to
their merits and demerits so after this discussion, i feel those who
have favouring which ever view  and face the challenges in that
particular marriage type should discuss their problems and solutions
to them.
For e.g., from Rajesh sir's writings i could sense that he has a
sighted life partner and he must have face difficulty and overcome
through it so he can share how  he dealt with those which will help
them who will be marrying to sighted person or will help to person who
is facing problems with his/her sighted life partner right now or
someonemay come up with better solutions and similarly a person who
has married to non-sighted person can share their problem and
solutions to it which will benefit to those who want and have taken up
that type of marriage as an option. I know, everyone's problem will
have different nature but somewhere someone will get a clew or hint to
overcome his/her marriage problems.

Regarding NGOs, rather than criticizing, we can guide NGOs to
publicize the news in such a way where it will not send some wrong
messages or organize  the events in such way which will prevent from
setting unwanted trend. For e.g., NGOs can approach organization where
sighted person's mass marriages take place and arrange event along
with them which will create awareness among other people and the news
will not flash as "mass marriages of blind couples". Unfortunately,
how far this will solve the problem of getting into main stream
according to our some list member is skeptical as again NGO can't
decide a person will marry to whom they can just offer profiles of
some prospective candidates and i feel  there is no certainty
regarding getting into main stream by marrying to sighted person as
there are many other factors like sighted person's nature, non-sighted
person's nature as well as family background etc also matter so this
is a call of individual interest. But guiding NGOs in proper way to
avoid sending  wrong signals in society, at the same time creating
healthy mind set of our society is only  longterm and difficult
solution lays with us. in this way, we can reduce the intensity of the
problem.

Here, if i have unknowingly hurt someone's sentiment then i apologize
for that. But i feel discussing views on topics like "education in
integrated or blind schools" or "marrying to sighted or blind person"
will have strong opposing views which will make our discussion
pointless and will end up "stop traffic"  mark instead, our discussion
will serve our purpose if we discuss the problems  and solutions in
detail who ever favor and experienced his/her own view.

Regards
Siddhi