From: muruganandan.k
Sent:  19/11/2013, 5:50  pm
To: AccessIndia: a list for discussing accessibility and issues concerning
        the disabled.
Subject: Re: [AI] Blind Beggars in Banglore

hello friends, if I may add something to this discussion... What we
are experiencing in Indian societies is much paradoxical and quite
strange.... A blind person who is begging is able to earn within a day
more than what a hard-working blind person can get in a week. The
society, which sympathizes with a begging person's blindness doesn't
respect the honour and spirit of a blind selling small things or doing
some meager labours. I would say the reason for blind persons
resoughting to begging and sticking on to it is more with the
societiey's attitude. This issue needs a larger analitical debate and
more fruitful long-term works....
thank you.

On 11/19/13, ishita kapoor <ishitakapoor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good work avinash.
> Last year I got an opportunity to meet a blind person who was bagging
> at hanuman temple rajkot gujarat.
> I talked to him for 15 to 20 minutes.
> He was intelligent and 12th pass.
> He said that bagging is my business. And I am happy with it. I can
> earn 500 per day in this business without doing anything.
> I asked him to do something meaningful with his life. But he replied I
> don’t want to do anything.
> I really found him happy with his life.
> I couldn’t speak anything.
> I said him bye bye without giving anything.
>

> On 11/18/13, avinash shahi <shahi88avin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear All
>> Nobody wants to begg, but hunger and burning stomach compell many to do
>> so.
>> We should respect these blind beggars, who are in absense of any
>> elementary support by family and the state are compelled to begg for
>> alms. they are fighting for bare minimum.There are thousands who are
>> forced to begg like them.
>> Can we do anything for them?
>> They are six blind men, 2 Aged around thirty, two mid thirties and
>> other two above forty.. Two are holding dirty rounded clowths and
>> others have stranded their palms in anticipation of money and food and
>> singing in corus.
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pEmOXC3M8w
>> Please if possible supply few data/surveys done on blind beggars in
>> Indian cities I'm writing one piece on blind beggars for one national
>> Indian Magazine. Please if you know any locality in Delhi where blind
>> beggars live in groups then also inform me.
>> ---
>> Avinash Shahi
>> M.Phil Research Scholar
>> Centre for The Study of Law and Governance
>> Jawaharlal Nehru University
>> New Delhi India

>> of
>> mobile phones / Tabs on:

>> mails

“THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE IS NOT HATRED, BUT INDIFFERENCE”
MURUGANANDAN.K
Ph.D Scholar,
Department of English,
Pondicherry University,