Narendre,

Thanks for bringing this up. In Mumbai, the situation is more or less
similar. I use to commute to and from work by rickshaw. However, my
observation is that the rickshaw guys are generally becoming difficult
at times, not just targetting us as visually challenged. In fact,
because of not being able to get a rickshaw on my way back from office
which in fact happens to be at around 4 in the evening (non peak
hours), I switched to B E S T travel.

There, we cannot be denied envrey neither do we have to worry about
finding a seat and seldom to worry about where to get off once
familiar with the stops on the way, not to mention the feasibility of
commute by bus.

Sometimes, the idea is to make the commute convenient and spending on
rickshaw may be necessary but when the guys act nasty, taking the next
best option might just be the right thing to do.

 Bang opposite my bank, there is a rickshaw stand and not too further
off is a bus stop. Usually a known rickshaw man would drive two others
and me right to my doorstep However, after a few days, he would allow
me to sit in the rickshaw but I had to wait for two or three other
commuters to come so he could claim a share from each person. I began
to realise that the wait was getting too much. Instead of reaching
home in 10 to 15 minutes, which would have ideallly been the reason
for taking a rick, I reached home in half an hour. Apparently, all
other rickshaw drivers refused saying that the only man who would
agree to drop off at my area of residence was the guy who ran the
share rickshaw.

The next evening, after waiting around for ten or so minutes and being
refused by other auto guys, I headed to the busstop. As I was stepping
into the bus, the rickshaw guy called out saying that the others had
come and that there was a seat for me. But, I  had made up my mind.

This, however, has temporarily taken care of my situation, but as you
say, there are times, when I would wish to choose commute by auto when
I am carrying shopping bags and stuff. Also, during monsoon days, when
a rickshaw drop home is obviously preferable.

The problem here seems to be about them choosing to drive customers to
their preferred destination rather than have us dropped where we wish
to go. This is the case even in case of sighted customers. But, since
commute poses more challenges for us, let's certainly hope to
sensitise them.
Regards,

Payal Jethra