Dear George,
I am also very concerned with inaccessibility in this arena.
Technology-wise, the only solution is to have set-top boxes with talking
features. Such products exists and our operators just need to adopt them and
offer to consumers for purchase.
I am sure blind persons will be ready to pay that extra few thousand rupees
for such devices.
Saksham, particularly Mr. Dipendra Manocha has tried to work with Dish TV
and Tata sky recently to make them adopt these devices. Unfortunately, after
the initial enthusiasm  not much progress has taken place.

Since we are a negligible market I wonder whether these operators will ever
offer it for commercial considerations. It needs to be enforced by law.
But we don't have any laws yet to ensure accessibility of ICT
infrastructure. The government has adopted a policy only and not much  work
is being done on it.

In the interim, I have tried to put together the channel list of popular
service providers in Braille, audio and eText on my website. Keeping them
up-to-date has proved to be very difficult however.
The Tata Sky channel list  is available on the page given below. you can at
least check the number of your favourite channel. Tata Sky is also providing
the program guide on their website but it is not fully accessible.
Channel list:
http://www.worldofdth.com/thread-wod-exclusive-tatasky-channel-list-as-on-11
-july-2015
Tata Sky TV guide:
http://www.tatasky.com/wps/portal/TataSky/channels/tvguide

We should together do something about this.

With regards,
Prashant