When blind people themselves are off the roads and away from parks
then these researchers did the rest...
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/gurgaon/Blind-walk-helps-see-ground-reality/articleshow/48210099.cms
GURGAON: Do people really care if a blind person is in danger? Does it
matter to anyone whether a person who cannot see gets to cross the
road safely or to be seated in public transport or in a park? Bothered
by such questions, some management students in the city decided to
conduct an experiment, both to educate themselves and the society
around them.

Ten MBA students of the School of Inspired Leadership (SOIL) on Friday
walked with their eyes closed in Leisure Valley Park, Sector 29. The
aim was to raise awareness about the importance of making public
spaces accessible to everyone and create awareness about the
challenges faced by blind people in day-to-day life.

One of the students, Cavery, was disheartened after her first blind
walk at the park. "I adjusted to the darkness within 5-10 minutes.
What bothered me was not the fear of tripping down, but the
insensitivity of people around me. Not many people help blind people
to cross a traffic signal and vacate seats for them in public places,"
said the 25-year-old.

While five students closed their eyes and took a round of the park
with a stick, the other five accompanied them as helpers and observed
how people around reacted to the presence of visually impaired. The
group had conducted a similar experiment at Galleria Market last week.
The walks were carried out as a social experiment by the SOIL
management students.

Recounting the advantages of a blind walk to sensitize people towards
blind people, Vignesh Warg, 25, a student who also works with an NGO,
Esha-people for blind, said, "The experiment provided an opportunity
to experience what blindness is and how they overcome obstacles at
every step. Through the blind walks, we are trying to create empathy
towards blind people."

A N Bhattacharya, who mentored the students, said "The students
carried out very simple activities like crossing the road and climbing
stairs. The students came to the conclusion that not many people are
sensitive towards blind people."
--
Avinash Shahi