Hi all,
If the society was sensitive to care for the visually challenged
people, two visually challenged players of the CABK (Cricket
Association of the Blind Kerala) would not have lost their lives in an
unfortunate manner. The players lost their lives while waiting for a
bus at a bus stand. When the bus driver lost control and drove the bus
into the waiting shed, everyone ran and escaped leaving the players
behind. However this does not mean that people do not care at all for
the visually challenged. The society is sympathetic to the visually
challenged when they see us walking with the white cane or when we
board a bus or train. But what we need is not sympathy. We need their
support or help in overcoming the barriers on our way. The attitude of
the society must change. Rather than seeing differently abled as a
burden they must be willing to see us as a value to the nation and the
society.