Hello everyone,

I’m sending this e-mail to the list to update you all on DNS-ACCOUNT-01 and the
news we have since the presentation in IETF 116.

You can all help by reviewing the text[0], these updates, and sharing your
opinion in this thread here!

The CA/B Forum 2023-05-04 meeting discussed DNS-ACCOUNT-01 and three things
came out of it, as it is evident in the minutes[1]:

1) This method is compatible with the CA/B Forum Baseline Requirements that are
binding for all WebPKI CAs, specifically section 3.2.2.4.7 for agreed-upon
change to a DNS record. This means that CAs can start using this standard
immediately, and there are no other dependencies. The design seemed to be good
in its current version. Obviously, quick changes to their CP/CPS may be
required, but this is not blocking and unilateral.

2) There is a documented need for various usecases where this challenge would
help, from several stakeholders, and evidence that it could be beneficial to
the ecosystem and its development. It allows ACME to be used in even more
situations where more traditional and non-automatable methods had to be relied
upon.

3) There was a suggestion to rename this challenge to DNS-02. This is something
that we had rejected back when we created this challenge, however it has been
suggested several times, so we are happy to reconsider this. It may be the
right choice.

There’s no published precedence of what -02 means right now, so it’s unclear
whether it is a second option, or a next generation / improved challenge. We
never planned to replace DNS-01 with our challenge, we always intended to add
more options, and cover more use cases. Here are some technical “disadvantages”
of this work vs DNS-01:

1) ACME Clients need to calculate the correct label. Although we provide the
algorithm, a bash script, and test vectors, anecdotal data from ISRG suggest
that some clients still mess things up (implementing RFC 8555), so this is
another value where this may happen. An easy solution here would be to share
the expected label with the client, but we decided against this to protect
against cross-protocol attacks, and also to protect the client against an ACME
server giving it arbitrary DNS records to change. If clients calculate this
independently, they don’t need to trust the server.

2) The label is longer, so some very very long domain names may no longer work.
Since this is 17 characters longer than DNS-01’s label, anything approaching
the various limits (of DNS, etc.) may break. For example, if in DNS-01 you end
up with a 236-253 character domain name to check for the TXT record, then
DNS-ACCOUNT-01 will go over the limit and won’t work. We don’t consider this to
be a major problem. We’re also not aware of many domain names in the 236-253
character range.

3) If an ACME client for whatever reason loses access to the ACME account, this
“set and forget” DNS label now has to change. Things would break here with
other standards too (if you need an EAB token, you can’t create a new account
anyways, if you limit the ACME account via CAA records, you can’t issue, etc.)
but DNS-ACCOUNT-01 would just add to the things that would have to be taken
into account. We don’t currently consider this a huge issue, but if you think
it could be, let us know.

As you can see, these 3 tradeoffs above had to be made, to ensure we can cover
more use cases. We think these are good tradeoffs for an additional ACME
challenge, but perhaps they are not for an “upgraded” one.

What do you think about the naming? Do you perceive “DNS-02” as an improved
version, or as a second option? We are happy to rename this to DNS-02 and we
have no plans of breaking any ACME server or client already using DNS-01 :)

Thanks for reading through this, and I am happy to hear your thoughts and get
reviews on the draft, so we can move further with this work.

Antonios Chariton
Independent Contributor ;)

- - -
Links: