Many thanks for the input.

Mer Plasma Active builds use systemd as their init system and the above
error looks like you don't have the required kernel options set in your
kernel config to satisfy systemd.

You were right on there.

See http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Adaptation_Guide for options you
need in your kernel.

So now it gets a lot further into the boot process.

I see one suspicious message:

systemd-logind.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1
Starting Login Service failed, see 'systemctl status systemd-logind.service for
details.

I see no way to get open a shell to look for those details.

Then a few lines down:

starting X server with "/usr/bin/Xorg :0 -nolisten tcp -noreset -auth
/home/mer/.Xauthority vt1"

and there it freezes, presumably the X server fails to start.

If I take the SD card out and look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log I see it ends with:

[    36.997] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for tegra
[    36.997] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/tegra_drv.so
[    36.997] (WW) VGA arbiter: cannot open kernel arbiter, no multi-card support

Which looks like more kernel stuff, but nothing I can understand.

Any further suggestions?

Cheers,
Jonathan