What, specifically, bothers you about "the implementation of the schema and
represenation of it through the LDAP layer" ?

If you are trying to make a common directory platform from multiple LDAP
implementations, you have a difficult road to travel.  The issues are
fundamental ones: the LDAP RFC's, especially in the area of schema, are
vague.