Gil, you are correct.  I think Roger is confusing not having a the
client's subnet defined in AD with auto-site coverage.  If the client's
subnet is not defined in AD then the process Stuart outlined is
followed.

If you have an empty site (a site without a DC) the following algorithm
is used per the Resource Kit.  A client will them authenticate with one
of the DCs in the site determined by the auto-site covergae algorithm.
It has been my experience that this works correclty, and can easily be
verified by ensuring there are site-specivic SRV records registered in
DNS for the empty site.

-Mark

        Site Coverage Algorithm

        During registration of SRV records in DNS, the following
algorithm is used to determine which domain controllers register site
SRV records that designate them as preferred domain controllers in sites
that do not have a specific domain represented.

        For every domain controller in the forest, follow this
procedure:

                1. Build a list of target sites - sites that have no
domain controllers for this domain (the domain of the current domain
controller).

                2. Build a list of candidate sites - sites that have
domain controllers for this domain.

                3. For every target site, follow these steps:

                        * Build a list of candidate sites of which this
domain is a member. (If none, do nothing.)

                        * Of these, build a list of sites that have the
lowest site link cost to the target site. (If none, do nothing.)

                        * If more than one, break ties (reduce this list
to one candidate site) by choosing the site with the largest number of
domain controllers.

                        * If more than one, break ties by choosing the
site that is first alphabetically.

                        * Register target-site-specific SRV records for
the domain controllers for this domain in the selected site.