All Groups in Ad are bound by this limitation. It only includes direct
members.

-----Original Message-----
From: Thommes, Michael M. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 12:39 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: [ActiveDir] which W2K groups does the 5000 limit apply to?

I have seen two references (.NET Magazine, Dec 2002, p19; Technet, Nov
2002, "Planning Your Commerce Server Installation") that indicate that
Windows 2000 groups have a limit of 5000 users.  Can anyone tell me what
groups this limit is applied to?  Is it just those groups created by an
administrator or does it apply also to default groups (e.g., Domain
Users).  Seems to me if it included groups like "Domain Users", Windows
2000 could not be called very scalable.  Any insight is appreciated!
TIA.

Mike Thommes
Systems Administrator
Argonne National Laboratory